Ny i Sverige – moving to Sweden for the first time

There is a lot of useful information on the internet. Start by reading the brochure ”Living and Working in Sweden”.
Find out more about social security rights in Sweden.
A visit on the official site of Sweden – sweden.se – is also recommended.

Residence Permit

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EEA, you must apply for a residence permit before moving to Sweden. Ask your spouse or the Swedish embassy about information and forms. The Migration BoardMigrationsverket – is the Swedish authority that considers applications on Residence permit. Please note that the time to process your application can be long. You can find estimated processing time here.
The criteria has previously been that the person you will live together with in Sweden should already be living there, but the Migration board now informs that if there is no doubt that the intention is to move back to Sweden and live there, they will consider the applicaton before the move.

To be registered

Visit the Swedish Tax Agency – Skatteverket – to register yourself as living in Sweden and to obtain the Swedish personal identity number – ”personnummer”. You will be registered in the population register.
Contact your Swedish Social Insurance Agency – Försäkringskassan – in order to be enrolled in the social security system. If you already have been registered in the population register in Sweden, you do not need to register with Försäkringskassan.

Learn the Swedish language

Information can be found at the website Swedish for immigrants (SFI) (Stockholms stad) or Adult Education Centre Stockholm/Komvux (Stockholms stad).
At sweden.se/studyinsweden there is also a lot of information on where and how to learn the swedish language.
Information about studying at colleges or universities, Universityadmissions.se or studyinsweden.se.
For questions about financial aid (studiestöd) for studies contact CSN – Centrala Studiestödsnämnden.

Finding a job

On the website of The Swedish Public Employment ServiceArbetsförmedlingen – you will find information in English. The Ministry has a contact person that can help with some guiding and information.

Driver’s Licence

For questions concerning driving licenses visit The Swedish Transport administration